Monday 7 April 2008

The beginning of the end?

I was looking through the Doctor Who Forum today and I came across a thread on the section discussing 'Partners in Crime' that was entitled 'The Beginning of the End?' Basically it was a thread that's quite typical in Doctor Who forums nowadays wherein a number of fans bitterly complain about the latest episode of Doctor Who and consider it so bad that it spells doom for the show, for all I know, the end of civilization as we know it.

Now I'm not going to to criticise anyone for giving their opinion. Let's be honest it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to do that given that I'll be doing the same thing shortly. But really, 'the beginnig of the end' is just a touch melodramatic isn't it? Not only that, but the impression I got from that thread was that people were passing judgment not just on that episode but on the whole of Series 4 when only one episode had been shown. And that, to me, is just ridiculous. It'd be like trying to write a detailed biography of Kate Winslet when all you've seen her in is that scene in Titanic when she takes her clothes off. In short, if you're going to pass judgment on anything it's best to wait till after the event before you do so.

Anyway rant over.

I did, of course watch 'Partners in Crime' and I was quite impressed. Admittedly I didn't go in with high expectations which may explain why I was so pleased with it. It might also explain why the 'beginning of the end' people weren't so impressed. I think it's very easy, particularly at the start of a new series to go in with unnaturally high expectations. I'm not quite sure what it is that some people expect but whatever it is, it's the opposite of what I expect.

Traditionally the opening episode of each series has been rather lighter in tone than later episodes and so I wasn't in the least bit surprised to find that the case with 'Partners in Crime'. But of all the season openers this is by far the most comedic; in fact it may the most comedic episode of Doctor Who since the series returned. And that, in my opinion is no bad thing. I can't remember when we last had a light-hearted episode of Doctor Who, The Shakepeare Code perhaps? Series 3 was pretty grim for the most part and even Voyage of the Damned was somewhat downbeat.

So in many ways 'Partners in Crime came as a great relief to me. The fun-loving Doctor is back! I was starting to miss him.

One other thing that struck me about the humour was that there was a lot of visual comedy and sight gags, more so than usual I think. Particular favourite moments for me were the scene in the office where the Doctor and Donna just keep missing eachother, the bit with Donna's grandfather and the alien spaceship and, of course, the eventual meeting between Donna and the Doctor - possibly one of the funniest Doctor Who scenes ever.

Speaking of Donna, I have to say that, at this stage I really like her. Her character's been toned down since we last saw her but not too much. So, at the moment she's refreshing without being annoying. That opinion may well change of course in future weeks.

I even liked the little Adipose creatures. Yes, they did look somewhat basic but they were supposed to be made out of fat so I don't know how else they were supposed to look. That said I think they should have dispensed with CGI, made the Adipose out of plasticine and got someone like Aardman Animations to animate them. They'd have looked even better then. Though adimttedly we'd still we waiting to watch the episode if they had done that.

And just a brief mention of Rose's return. Totally unexpected (by me at least), very exciting but what does it all mean? I guess time will tell.

I was going to mention the last episode of Torchwood but I don't really have time right now. All I will say is: is Owen the only character in TV history to die twice within just one series? Boy, is he unlucky.

Mark C

1 comment:

Nadia said...

By now I have managed to watch the first episode and I very much like as well.

(Spoiler alert for those who haven't yet.)

I have noticed that many of the die-hard fans of any series/music/etc. have a tendency to speak ill of a new episode. I suppose it is really, as you say, that they have high expectations (like I do with Ondaatje's books, as you know). Every detail has to be examined and most things do not hold up to such scrutiny. I hsould think it is the same with Doctor Who, which, on the whole, should simply be enjoyed despite the inconsistencies that inevitably crop up in such a long-running series. The trouble with people who complain so much about it all is that they can take away the fun for other viewers. That is why I usually stay away from forums of that kind.

"Partners in Crime" was indeed a very fun beginning and I can't see that it is any worse than previous episodes. A light beginning is good and I for my part enjoyed being able to laugh at some of the characters' antics and, of course, the Doctor's typical facial expressions. Very characteristic and always fun! Rose's surprise appearance adds a bit of seriousness to it all, I had the feeling. We all know her and saw her "death", so now we have things to speculate about, and that is nice.

On the one hand, to pass judgement on the whole new series by considering merely the first episode isn't a valid approach even though, on the other, the introduction should set the tone for the rest of the series just like the first line or first page of a good short story determines the rest of the story. It will be interesting to see how opinions may have changed by the time series 4 is over.

Yes, Donna is less annoying than I feared she might be judging from "The Runaway Bride". She isn't the typical companion, it seems to me, but that's alright. Her being there indicates that it will be a series with more comedic elements, I presume.

Sicne I generally dislike the fake look of CGI unless done exceptionally well, I think the Adipose weren't realised as well as they should have been. I don't like being reminded that something is not real when I watch something on TV. After all, we are meant to believe it. I have no idea if another method would have improved matters, and I can see why they might have chosen CGI, but it could have been better. Still, it does not keep me from liking the creatures. Give me one of those pills and I'll make my own creatures!

On another note: I loved Donna's grandfather! I already did before he was her grandfather, in the Christmas episode. I am glad he was chosen to be in this series in the end. It was great to see him so happy when he sees Donna with the Doctor.

And, finally, about Torchwood: I still think Owen is coming back since we don't see him disintigrate. Apart from that it was a very teary-eyed episode for me and very good.